Friday, October 24, 2008

25 years down...

While some of the voices in my head are telling me to tie my 25 years in this world into politics, I will fight that feeling. Or at least try not to make it all about politics.

25 years ago, Ronald Reagan (R) was President. Terry E. Branstad (R) had just been elected to be Iowa's 39th Governor. Roger W. Jepsen (R) and Chuck Grassley (R) were the Senators from Iowa.

Now, 25 years later, while George W. Bush (R) is president, we have a African-American, Barack Obama (D), set to become the 44th President of the United States. Chet Culver (D) is the 41st Governor of Iowa. Tom Harkin (D) and Chuck Grassley (R) are the Senators from Iowa.

This is a great example of how much has changed in 25 years. Even if Grassley did have to be the one guy against change. (Ha! I kid; I deeply respect Grassley for many things.)

25 years ago cell phones made their way into America.

25 years ago Microsoft Word was first released.

25 years ago Nintendo Entertainment System was first launched in Japan.

Over the last 25 years, many different people, places, things, and substances have shaped the way I see the world and the way I act in it. Since I can't really name everyone or everything, I'm just gonna play it safe and not mention anyone. But you all know who you are. Much love.

Looking back there are millions of things I would have done differently if I could, but I do not in any way regret my decisions. Were some of them bad? Of course. But those decisions made me who I am today, and I can't really fight the fact of the person I have become is pretty awesome. Are there things about me I still need to change? Hell yeah. Even awesome people can still become more awesome.

It's funny though. Looking back, I like to think I grabbed the path of being a journalist and/or a writer, but it's just not true. Writing grabbed me. I was writing stories and scripts when I first learned to write. I have a fun read of a Get Smart script I wrote back, I think, in middle school.

I was recommended to the journalism class in high school. And while I did kinda work to get on the high school newspaper, once I was in college, I just kept falling into it. My advisor signed me up for the Reporting class. And when we did our first story for class, mine was picked to run in the college paper.

I was told by the then-Features editor I should sign up for the paper because I was a really good writer and reporter. So I did. And then at the end of that year she told me I should apply to be an editor because I would be great. So I did. And I got it. Features editor. Then news editor. Then, midway through my junior year, I fell into the design editor job. Then, actually showing some fight, became the Managing Editor my senior year. Then the paper won first place in general excellence at the Iowa College Media Association awards.

Now, coming up on being two-and-a-half years removed from college, I find my passion for life and writing continue. Why do I bring this up in my birthday post? Because I always followed my heart and mind. I have the feeling I should be writing more, but due to many reasons, I'm not sure of what path to take. So, for now, I am taking my own path. Writing as much as I can on my own, and in my own way, to become a better writer. And when my talent and the right time hit (and I'm always on the look out), I will shine like I always have when time and place meet.

Not many people can say they were at the right place, at the right time, with the right skill, doing the right thing. I already had one of those. My senior year of college. Now, I know I will have another one. But I'm not going to bitch and moan about a job I don't love 100%, or about my living situation not being what I wanted.

I am only 25. I have a good amount of time to make everything work. I wasn't really all that happy through my last years of high school and the first few of college. It was hard, it was lonely, and it was something I would never want to go through again. But those years led me to the door step of my perfect year; my senior year at Grand View.

So now, I'm not really all that 100% happy. It's a little lonely, but I have great friends. And while I would never chose to be tired, lonely and poor, I will take them on with pride if I am doing it in hope of the dream. It takes sweat and tears to make things change for the better.

Do you think it was easy for America to come from the time of Ronald Reagan to now be looking into the future with Barack Obama? Do you think it was easy for Democrats in Iowa to overcome a 30-year lock on the Governorship? Do you think it was easy to imagine and create cell phones, Microsoft Word or the Nintendo Entertainment System?

I'm personally looking forward to 2033 and waiting to see what the next 25 years will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment